Sunday, November 30, 2008

Obamas Ironic Temperament Is Awesome (Obvious) And Conservative ...


It's easy for me to choose my friends: My conversation style involves blurting out bizarre and enigmatic sentences, and anyone with the patience to put up with it is a friend of mine. (Call it argument by spaghetti : throw everything against the wall and see what sticks.) Case in point, this scene from the Fuddruckers near the Chinatown metro in DC:
The problem with the liberals is that they can't do irony. The hell? They're the ones who love it to death. It's because they don't understand loyalty.
Miraculously, my interlocutor knew me well enough to follow what I meant, but here's a little elucidation. In the liberal understanding of loyalty, I am a Democrat (or whatever) exactly to the extent that I agree with their platform; if loyalty ever demanded that I do something contrary to my own opinion, that would be a violation of conscience. Consequently, I can never be ironic about a party, country, person, or institution I love: either I agree with them, in which case irony would be inappropriate, or I disagree, in which case I should voice my dissent in plain terms. Why put forward the pretense of allegiance when the best way to show my loyalty is straightforward criticism?
Irony exists in the space between what I believe and what I claim to believe, and damp crawl space liberalism destroys that space. If Obama has a sense of humor about his politics (not to mention his cult of personality), it goes to show that he wants to open that space back up and buy space heater make the world safe once again for pragmatic idealists and jfk space center idealistic pragmatists.
All of this is by way of saying that James said something interesting when he suggested that an ironic temperament could be a twist on Rortyanism after all with real humility forced into the private sphereirony made its only permissible public surrogate. James eyes this New Rortyianism with suspicion, but I'm pleased as Punch.
UPDATE: A relevant passage from Jim Scott in which he argues that poor people who've been brainwashed into really believing in their oppressors' ideology are more likely to revolt than those who regard the enslaving ideology as manipulative bunk (i.e. false consciousness doesn't prevent rebellion but, oddly enough, promotes it):

4 comments:

BRADEN Gabelman said...

Congratulaions on being chosen as a blog of note. It looks like you had your hands full but I am sure that you enjoyed it all.

GAVAN Mueller said...

thanks for the list.. i�ll check em one by one..

GAVAN Mueller said...

Are you really taking off while you are a blog of note? Oh no, what will I read? :)

BRADEN Sunderland said...

Are you really taking off while you are a blog of note? Oh no, what will I read? :)

Post a Comment